Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Trompe L'Oeil - Woodland Sketches

Woodland Sketches
acrylic on gesso board
20"x16"
I'm submitting this piece to a juried show tomorrow morning. I'm hoping it will get in so keep your fingers crossed for me.

I used a ribbon board collage as the still life reference for creating this trompe l'oeil painting. Edward Alexander MacDowell’s musical piece, Woodland Sketches, To a Wild Rose, No. 1, Op. 51 inspired the autumnal theme. The photographs were taken during trips to Alaska and North Carolina in the 1980s. The leaves were gathered on a Fall day and the arrow head was found in an eroding stream bed in Virginia.

Part of me wants to follow the trompe l'oeil direction a bit more. It is quite time consuming and methodical, but I learn so much in the process. I'd like to get a bit more playful with it, and perhaps even explore surrealism a bit more.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

NEAT!! V creative!

Unknown said...

well done and good luck on this. Personally, I would go insane trying to paint so realistically, although part of me wants to.