Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Ixmucane (Illustration)

Ixmucane is a jacket cover for a children's book The Journey Home -- the story of a Maya refugee girl's discovery of her community's history and heritage. I used the repeating circular motif of the Maya calendar for the composition. Painting this made me think of the many cycles the Maya documented in the heavens, the earth and in human beings themselves. The Maya cycle of sowing and dawning continues to inspire me and surprise me whenever I come upon a previously unnoticed example of it in life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is so Beautiful :D
Ciao :D

Manuela

L. A. Stern said...

Thank you Manuela! Please come back and visit any time.

Linda

Jasmine said...

Hi! :) This is absolutely beautiful!! Has the book come out already? I'd love to read it!