Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Shows Worth Seeing: "Hardware" @ Target Gallery ('til dec. 4)

My friend Ann and I have gotten into the practice of creating a Day of Art for ourselves. This includes sharing our work with eachother (she is a wonderful printmaker) and visiting gallery shows. Today we visited the Torpedo Factory in downtown Alexandria and popped into the Target Gallery.

The current show is called Hardware, a collaborative exhibition created by the New Image Art Quilt Group. The show not only highlights the versatility of fabric arts, but the creativity that occurs when a group of artists works together to push the envelop of a theme -- in this case "hardware."

Earlier in the day, in another gallery, I had asked Ann, " If you were a collector which piece of art would you choose from this exhibition?" By the time we had come to the Target Gallery I had forgetten the question until Ann stopped in front of Sue Pierce's Closed Circuit, and proclaimed, "This is the piece I would choose!"
Sue Pierce, Closed Circuit(detail) 15" x 24"
All the pieces in Hardware express a sense of play, as well as thoughtful analysis by the artists. Some artists dealt with the hardware theme head on, such as B.J Adams' Tireless Tools, while others were more oblique in their approach. Sue Brown's Unlocked used key metaphors, while N. Amanda Ford used old denim to express the theme in the piece Well Worn - Hard Wear. Sandra LH Woock has four pieces in the show and expressed a painterly quality and luminosity I never thought possible in fabric art.

Sandra LH Woock Nails: Patina 15" x 26"
The works were all relatively small, but created dramatic images when viewed from a distance. The Target Gallery provides a lovely open space for this show. Hardware is an clever show and made me think of how new mediums will push you as an artist, taking you to previously unexplored places and ideas if you let them. In this sense Hardware is a celebration in artist collaboration and individuality!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woock's piece is stunning. I wish I was in DC so I could see it myself.

I like your "which piece would you choose?" question. I've often thought about that myself after viewing an art exhibition - it gets a bit deeper than "what do you like?" because you have to think about not only what you enjoy in an artwork, but what you would want, or be able, to live with, as well.

L. A. Stern said...

The DC Metro area has a really vibrant arts community. I feel fortunate to be here. It's innovative and sophisticated, but still very accessible. There are a few 'high flauntin' galleries around, but they tend to cater to tourists et al who don't know any better... and the work they carry tends to be pretty cheesy or conventional (I won't mention any gallery names here)...

What is the art scene like in Melbourne? Any interesting galleries you would recommend?

Anonymous said...

I have no idea, actually. My (admittedly minimal) engagement with the arts scene here has been more focused on performing arts. I really enjoy the public art in the city, which is much more varied in terms of style and subject matter than what I'm accustomed to seeing in the States. I've heard that the art scene here is an important one, but I have yet to experience much of it for myself.

Anonymous said...

Well, you've left me an opening to say why I like Sue Pierce's work. As often happens, I'm still thinking about the art we saw last week, including Closed Circuit. I think it's difficult to use found objects/trash successfully. She's used these pieces deliberately and cleverly: they are bread tabs but they seem to become something else as well. They could be part of circuitry -- in a playful way.