Monday, November 28, 2005

Isterian Light

(acrylic on canvas; 4' x 3.5') This is still a work in progress as they say. It is off the coast of Croatia, on the cusp of Spring -- and peace in the region. It was a hopeful day -- after delivering a 3-day workshop to about 15 community advocates -- and I wanted to create a hopeful painting that still acknowledged the wounds of the past.

Here I also used the under -painting and glazing techniques. I wanted to 'flatten' the composition by bring the background forward. By creating a shallow depth of field, I wanted it to read simultaneously as a naturalistic rendering , as well as a more abstract composition of color and form. I don't think I suceeded. Some of the colors are too hot, and the renderings confusing. I will continue to work on this, perhaps using some coler red or purple glazes over the 'hot spots'. I will keep you posted.