Friday, December 02, 2005

Foray into Printmaking

These are some of my attempts at printmaking. I have found the etching process incredibly challenging. My friend Ann says she sees only possibilities in the printmaking process, while I tend to see only limitations. I get intimidated and totally loose my spontenaity -- something I struggle with in general anyway (control freak, control freak!). I'm thinking about hand coloring and/or incorporating them into mixed media pieces, as a way to salvage all the work that goes into printmaking.


[Titles: Clemencia, and Buen Dia!]

For some reason I have felt more comfortable with relief prints -- linocuts, woodblocks -- and have had a better response to them. The piece, Lagarto Maya sold at the Grace Gallery this September. Maybe because relief is more direct and simple and I know more or less what the outcome will be. More than anything intaglio printmaking has made me aware of how much I still need to try to work with a given medium -- let it lead me to discoveries instead of trying to control it.

For those of you who are more proficient at printmaking then I am, Washington DC has a wonderful printmaking cooperative in Dupont Circle -- The people there are very knowledgable and the artists are committed to community education and sharing their expertise with other artists. Check out:
Very, very cool stuff!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your prints look great, but this photo doesn't do Buen Dia! justice. You should take it again.

L. A. Stern said...

Yes, someone else told me that as well -- that all the photos of prints came out way too dark. I'll see what I can do. I've also noticed that the pix kind of 'migrate' within the frame and i'm not sure why.

Anyway, I think the brown bag is worth checking out ;)

L. A. Stern said...

Ann,
when i visited the washington printmakers last spring the director there was wonderful. Her name escapes me, and she has since gone to NYC for a job in another museum. She took about 45 minutes to take me around and proudly show off all the wonderful artists and techniques they used, and the kinds of programs they have. I don't know who replaced her, but sharing seems to be the ethos of the cooperative! Definitely, let's put the brown bag on our list!